The purpose of the NIGMS RISE program is to achieve greater participation by students from underrepresented (UR) groups in the biomedical and behavioral research enterprise of this country. For the purpose of the NIGMS RISE program, UR groups include those reported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) as well as the National Academics to be nationally underrepresented in biomedical and behavioral sciences (i.e. African Americans, Hispanic Americans, American Indians, Natives of the U.S. Pacific Islands and people with disabilities).
The NIGMS RISE program at FIU is sponsored by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). To receive salary support from the NIGMS RISE program, students must be U.S. citizens or non-citizen nationals or permanent residents, must be enrolled full-time in academic degree programs in biomedical or behavioral science fields at FIU, and must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. A non-citizen national is a person who, although not a citizen of the United States, owes permanent allegiance to the U.S. This is generally a person born in a land that is not a state, but that is under U.S. sovereignty, jurisdiction, or administration – for example, American Samoa. An individual lawfully admitted for permanent residence must possess a currently valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS Form I-551) or other legal verification of such status prior to appointment in the NIGMS RISE program. Individuals on temporary visas, those seeking asylum, or refugees are not eligible for support from the NIGMS RISE program. Underrepresented students and students with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Undergraduate or Graduate (M.S. or Ph.D.)
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- GPA of 3.0 or better
- Enrolled as a full-time degree seeking student at FIU in the Biomedical, Behavioral or Health Sciences (Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science, Public Health, Physics, Psychology, etc. majors are eligible)
- Strong desire to pursue a career in Biomedical Research (Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D.)
- Be able to fully participate in the fellowship program for one (1) full academic year.
For application details and to apply to the FIU NIGMS RISE Fellowship Program, please click here.